Parent Governor Opportunity
An exciting and rewarding vacancy has arisen for a parent governor on the Local Governing Body of Woodhill Primary School, effective from November 2021. I am therefore writing to invite parents of registered pupils to consider standing for the role which will give successful candidates the chance to have a real impact on our school community. The term of office is for 4 years, though governors are free to resign at any time. We have two vacancies and would love as many parents as possible to come forward.
While not involved in the operational management of the schools, the Local Governing Body plays a key part in the oversight of standards and school improvement, mainly by asking questions and providing an external viewpoint on the school’s work in ensuring that the Woodhill children get the very best education.
No special qualifications are required but to be successful in the role, you will need to be committed to the success of the school and willing to play an active role in the Local Governing Body’s work, contributing with integrity, honesty and objectivity.
As a parent governor, you will be expected to:
- Attend approximately six LGB meetings per year meeting for approximately 2hrs at the school
- Prepare for those meetings by reviewing papers, undertaking further reading as necessary and considering any questions or other observations they raise
- Commit to visiting the school at least once during the school day each term to monitor key aspects of work
- Attend training to assist you in becoming and staying up to date and effective in your role
- Undergo an enhanced DBS check to confirm your suitability to work with children
- Declare any business or pecuniary interests and accept that these interests together with your name, term of office as a governor, and attendance will be published on the school website.
- Commit to the LGB code of conduct.
Please visit our You Tube page to watch a video created by our current parent governor to find out more about the role https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4h5hSw60rQ
(Type into Google: Woodhill Primary School You Tube, Become a Parent Governor to find the video above.)
In return, you can look forward to: being part of a supportive and collaborative team working collectively to ensure all children at the school receive the best quality of education we can give them; use and enhance existing skills and develop new ones; and gain personal satisfaction from knowing you are making a difference for the community.
If you’d like to find out more about the role or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact myself as Headteacher (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ed Nedjari, the Chair of Governors (email@example.com)
Nominations should be submitted on an application nomination form by Friday 22nd October. You will also need to write a statement of no more than 100 words on why you would make an effective parent governor.